Postdoctoral fellowships in Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval
The Department of Computer Science at the Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen (DIKU) is offering five postdoctoral positions in natural language processing and/or information retrieval, commencing 1 December 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The postdoc will become part of the research collective COASTAL (https://coastalcph.github.io) or of the Information Retrieval Lab in the Machine Learning Section at DIKU (https://di.ku.dk/english/research/machine-learning/). COASTAL and the Information Retrieval Lab are among the leading research groups in natural language processing and information retrieval in Europe, with a strong presence at top-tier conferences like EMNLP, ACL, SIGIR and NAACL, as well as in premier AI/ML conferences like AAAI and NeurIPS. COASTAL aims to be “the friendliest world top 10 group to work in” and attract talented researchers from around the world with a diverse set of backgrounds – from mathematics to psychology and language. Our modus operandi is internal and external collaboration, and we frequently collaborate with researchers from the best university and industry research groups.
The postdoctoral positions most likely include:
- an 18 month postdoctoral fellowship in Multilingual Abstractive Summarization and related topics.
- an 18 month postdoctoral fellowship in Interpretable Natural Language Understanding and related topics.
- a 3 year postdoctoral fellowship in Interpretable Natural Language Understanding with a focus on bias detection and legal document processing.
- a 2 year postdoctoral fellowship in Robust Dialogue Systems – with the second year planned at the University of Edinburgh under the supervision of Mirella Lapata.
- a 3 year postdoctoral fellowship in culturally informed Natural Language Generation for recommender systems – in collaboration with JobIndex (Scandinavia’s biggest recruitment agency).
Supervision and teaching are encouraged, but not required. Travel funding and computing resources are covered.
Applicants should have or be about to receive a PhD degree in a subject relevant for the research area. The successful candidate is expected to have a solid background in natural language processing and/or information retrieval and should have a strong research record as witnessed by publications in top conferences in natural language processing and/or information retrieval and/or machine learning.
The exact details are still negotiated with the funding agency, but will be fixed by the application deadline. Inquiries about the positions can be made to Anders Søgaard at email@example.com and to Christina Lioma at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information on the Department is linked at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 437.843 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.871). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
Employment takes place provided that the necessary grants from the funding agency are present.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae.-Diploma and transcripts of records (PhD and MSc or equivalent).
- List of publications including links to the applicant’s pages at DBLP and Google Scholar.-
- Brief research statement with description of research so far and future research goals and interests, and with a short description of 3 selected papers.
- Copies of the above 3 selected papers.
- Name and address for three references who might be contacted for reference letters later in the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is 4 October 2020, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews will be held on Monday 19 October and Wednesday 21 October.