The Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen is expanding its research and educational activities and hereby invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professorship in Combinatorial Optimization.
The assistant professor will join the department’s Image Section (https://di.ku.dk/forskning/imagesection/) which hosts experts in image analysis, computer vision, computer simulation, discrete optimization, and machine learning. The work ranges from theoretical analyses over algorithm development to solving concrete problems for science, industry and society. The section offers a research environment with much freedom: to a large extent, you shape the research you work on and the ideas you pursue. The section aspires to be a top research environment that bridges theory and practice.
The successful applicant will perform innovative research in the area of combinatorial optimization. The applicant is also expected to contribute to ongoing research projects within data science, involving simulation, bioinformatics, machine learning and image analysis, where in particular solving complex NP-hard problems plays a key role. Moreover, the applicant will contribute to basic as well as advanced courses, mainly in the area of algorithmic discrete optimization.
Applicants should have an excellent PhD degree in mathematics, computer science or a related area, or equivalent. Profound knowledge of combinatorial optimization and related areas is expected. Publications in top scientific journals are essential. Good communication skills and solid English writing skills are expected. Some teaching experience will be an advantage.
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily be research, including scientific publications and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
The position is open from 1 August 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further information on the Department is linked at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/
. Inquiries about the position can be made to Professor Pawel Winter (email@example.com, cell phone +45 2380 7799), Head of Section, Associate Professor Kim Steenstrup Pedersen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Head of Department, Professor Mads Nielsen (email@example.com).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 426.625 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 72.952).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications inhigh-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 17 February 2019, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 23 May 2019
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0014/18-2N
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.