Tenure-track assistant Professor of Machine Learning
The Department of Computer Science at the University of Copenhagen is seeking candidates for a tenure track assistant professorship in Machine Learning. The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within Machine Learning. To a limited extend the position may also include other duties.
Outstanding applicants in all areas of Machine Learning will be considered, but research areas of special interest include:
- Machine Learning Theory
- Deep Learning
- Large Scale Learning
- Privacy/Fairness and Machine Learning
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
We are looking for an outstanding, experienced researcher with an innovative mindset and intellectual curiosity to strengthen and complement the research profile of the department's Machine Learning Section. The section's research is concerned with machine learning spanning from theoretical, over algorithm development, to solving concrete problems for science, industry, and society within: medical image analysis; bioinformatics and molecular biology; natural language processing and understanding; information retrieval and web data mining; multimodal processing; digital education and teaching technology.
The University of Copenhagen was founded in 1479 and is the oldest and largest university in Denmark. It is often ranked as the best university in Scandinavia and consistently as one of the top places in Europe. The department of Computer Science offers a friendly and thriving international research and working environment with opportunities to build up internationally competitive research groups. The University of Copenhagen offers working conditions supporting a healthy work-life balance and Copenhagen is a family friendly capital city.
The department values interdisciplinary research and teaching and is actively involved in several cross-faculty research projects and educational programmes. Thus, the successful candidate must be capable of and interested in facilitating cross-disciplinary interactions both within the Computer Science Department and across the university. The candidate is expected to engage in interdisciplinary teaching, including courses for students with a non-technical background, e.g., health sciences.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
The position is open from 1 February 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Head of Section, Professor Christina Lioma (firstname.lastname@example.org; cell phone +45 2155 4731) and Head of Department, Professor Mads Nielsen (email@example.com; cell phone +45 2460 0599)
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 437.843 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.871).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding [Formuleringen tilrettes efter forskningsområdets muligheder for at tiltrække ekstern finansiering]
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is Sunday 9 August 2020, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 19 November 2020
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0062/20-2N.